Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Crochet Mobius Scarf

My mobius scarf is now finished and I am very happy with it....
so happy I am going to make another one in red mohair... but more about that later...
I had made this mobius scarf years ago and it took me a while to find my notes on it... but once found there was no stopping me...
This time, I have also made a pair of short wrist warmers to match... and now just deciding on how to embellish them... found some nice pink buttons to sew on...  but still not convinced about the finished look... still pondering on that one...


Crochet Mobius Scarf and Wrist Warmers
Anyway.... whilst making this Crochet Mobius ScarfI became very intrigued with the whole concept and kept looking at the pattern which stated right at the very beginning “Design concept by Mirjam Bruck Cohen, Israel” and I kept wondering who this person was and how they came to develop the idea of crocheting the mobius strip in one piece starting in the middle.
Well, obviously the best thing to do was to contact the person who originally came up with the design concept.  Not knowing where it would lead I followed my heart and made contact with Mirjam and the result was a few emails with explanations of how she came to develop this innovative pattern.  So, with Mirjam’s permission I am posting her original idea which she posted on FFcrochet (during the time she belonged to the group):
Good Morning Croladies!!!
The crochet Moebious I made was calculated by me , without any help and before a nice Belgian lady Ria taught me the  knitted `no seam` version.
In fact I have been exposed to those Paper moebiouses, but  only when I read Elizabeth Zimmermann`s "Knitting Around", School  House Press , 1997 [4th press] , did I see any suggestion to use it as a Shawl .
I liked the idea in general, but was not so keen on the `false' seam.
After looking at a paper version and thnking about the concept, I was sure that one should be able to make it in one piece, from the center out.
I discussed it with my friend the mathematician, and played with possible `turning` points.
I realized that when  one starts with a basic chain it is not so easy to turn it, so decided  to start with a Basic Double Crochet row (Dc cast on] [USA term = treble UK term]  
DC [USA] cast on:
Make 3 st , make 1 Dc in the first st, make next dc  in the lowest loop of the bottom part of the last dc go on like that until you have the wanted length.
Now comes the trick, lay flat on a table so that all the dc row is straight, take the 1st dc and turn , make a SC [USA] on the bottom part, of the first Dc , put a marker, now make a Half Dc, in the  bottom of the second dc , make Dc on the bottom of third Dc and  work Dc from now on all the bottom side of the 1st row, when you come to the marker you might decide to make some lacy pattern.
Both sides will show thus upper of the row will show one side of the crochet and underside will show other side of the crochet , but it is and looks and feels like one piece .... Mirjam
I am grateful for Mirjam having replied to my email and request, and ever so humble for allowing me to share her pattern here.  For more information on Mirjam Bruck Cohen see her website http://fibersiv.net/
The Mobius (moebius) Scarf is very easy and simple and can be made using any yarn weight and hook size. 
So be creative, once you get familiar with the concept you can introduce your own pattern stitch and create an amazing scarf.  Make it long or make it short. 
It is so versatile and so pleasurable to make and wear.  Everyone will want one. 
So come along and have some fun!

For a history of the Mobius you can check the Wikipedia website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moebius_strip
“Briefly, the shape of the Möbius Strip dates back to ancient times.
The Möbius strip or band is a surface with only one side and only one boundary component. A model can easily be created by taking a paper strip and giving it a half-twist, and then joining the ends of the strip together to form a loop.” (extract from Wikipedia)
So, on one hand, you can just crochet a strip and then give it a half twist and join the ends to form a loop.  However, it you want to crochet a mobius band without a joining seam then you follow Mirjam’s instructions and start off with a foundation row and then join the band into the bottom of beginning stitch (as explained in the pattern above).  The whole band is then created working in continuous rounds, working either side of your foundation row, this is the easy part.  You can change pattern stitch and yarn colours and be as creative as you wish.  Make it as long and as wide as you like and then finish the band with a decorative edge or a contrast colour.  The choice is always yours.
I used a Jaeger Mohair yarn DK and a 6mm hook.  The scarf measurements are not crucial, however if you wish the scarf to double as a shawl to sit comfortably around your shoulders, then get someone to measure around your chest with your arms by your sides.  This will allow for a relaxed draping over your shoulders. My measurement came to 50ins in circumference, but you can make it as long or as short as you wish.  You may want it to just sit comfortably around your neck.  There are no strict sizes.  So have some fun and let the creative juices flow.
Some links for mobius creations: 
How to start Mobius

Enhanced by Zemanta